Yes, I am....

I am totally in love with Nate Berkus. We go way back. I was beyond thrilled when his new show started this season. I have to confess that it was not quite what I expected and I wasn't sure if I would love the show as much as I love him. Well, after being on the air for a month or so I have decided that, yes, I do like it but it's just not what I thought it would be. If the producers had only called me for advice...

One day last week Jenny McCarthy was on. I have a love/hate relationship with her. She is a little (a lot) crass for me which is the hate part. However, I love what she has done as a mom for her son, who has autism. She has been a champion for him and other kids with autism. I was totally impressed with her dedication to making his life better. You have to respect a woman who will risk everything for her child. I'd like to think all moms would do that - I know I would. I just didn't know she had it in her. (disclaimer: I don't agree with how she went about everything and this is not meant to be a platform on vaccinating vs. not vaccinating - or anything else.)

When Jenny walked out on the stage Nate said, 'You look beautiful'(she did). Her response was 'Yes, I am.' That caught me off guard as I would have said 'thank you', so I was back to the hate part. But she went on and said something like, 'I don't like it when people don't take a compliment - just brush it off or say no I don't - so I decided that I would agree with the beautiful comment.'

That got me thinking about how hard it seems for people to take compliments from others gracefully. Most of us work hard to look nice each day. Or be nice. Or helpful. Or good moms. Or good wives. Or good co-workers. Some days 'good' is easier than others. I don't think most people would compliment us if they didn't really believe what they were saying. So why to we brush off those compliments as not accurate?

I am on a mission to accept any compliment gracefully. Are you in?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Keep a Journal...

Easter Deals, Ideas & Fun Stuff - 4/11/17

25 Candy-Free Easter Basket Filler Ideas