The Kitchen Gadget...






I love kitchen gadgets.  I think most people do. I have been known to buy too many.  I bet a lot of you have, too.  Lots of have to have, trend of the moment type of things (salad shooter, anyone?)  Things we really don't need. When space is at a premium in the kitchen I always check the gadget drawer and see if I've acquired anything that I'm not using regularly, then I toss it.  I remember seeing Peter Walsh on Oprah once and he said to take all your gadgets out of the drawers and put them in a box.  Keep everything in the box for a month and as you need something take it out of the box.  Once you're done with it and have washed it, put it back in the drawer.  Anything left in the box at the end of the month can be donated.  It means you really don't need it.  A month might be too small of a time frame so you can adjust that.  You won't want a box on your counter for much longer than that!

I started thinking about what my favorite, most used gadgets are and came up with the top 5.  Here they are:

1. Kitchen Shears
Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin L Shears
Honestly, I don't know how people live without them.  I use mine every day.  Multiple times. I have these ones  from Henckels.  

2. Stainless measuring cups

Williams-Sonoma Stainless-Steel Measuring Cups & Spoons

I love these because they are sturdy, dishwasher safe, & don't hold odors.  I don't have the stainless measuring spoons because I prefer these ones from Pampered Chef.

3.  Jar Opener
There are many different types of jar openers but I have this one from OXO.  I'm not sure if it's a 'must have' but I use it almost every day.

4. Battery operated Salt and Pepper Shakers.

Graviti Electric Salt & Pepper Mills

I've heard people say they don't like them but I love mine.  Again, it's something I use everyday.  I find that the batteries last for quite awhile, even with all the use they get.  I have the salt shaker shown above from Williams-Sonoma.  And this pepper grinder.

5.  Garlic Press

Now, I don't use this everyday but when you need minced garlic this is the only way to go.    I have the Pampered Chef one but I'm sure there are other good ones out there.  I will say that I have had mine for years (over 10) and it's like brand new, even after all those trips in the dishwasher. 

Those are my top 5, gotta have kitchen gadgets.  If I could only choose ONE of those to keep?  The kitchen shears, for sure.

I.m linking up to Kate @ Centsational Girl's Favorite Kitchen Gadget party.

What makes your list?

Comments

The simplest, craziest little thing was a pink tube of rubber that is used to peel garlic. My mother got it for me as a gift, along with a pretty ceramic grater; but the real hit is the pink tube - absolutely amazing!
Kay Starks said…
Can't live without Kitchen Shears, I can take on a whole chicken with no problem! I love mine and the world would be lost without them. lol. great post!
Jenn Erickson said…
Absolutely some of my favorites as well. I'd also have to say that a good rubber spatula, candy thermometer and microplane grater and some of my other favs. You're right, the kitchen shears are an absolute must and an all-around multitasker!
I'm visiting via Centsational Girl's Favorite Kitchen Gadget party and am now following you. Man, how could I have forgotten the garlic press?! I love mine! Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday.
http://www.laurieslittlebitsofcreativity.com/
Hilary said…
Battery-powered salt and pepper shakers? I think I've died and gone to heaven. I had no idea...!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Keep a Journal...

Easter Deals, Ideas & Fun Stuff - 4/11/17

25 Candy-Free Easter Basket Filler Ideas