DIY Mercury Glass, Part One...

I have tons of jars and clear glass vases. I use them for many different things. The obvious: storage (jars) and flowers (vases). And the not so obvious: gifts and pen/pencil holders (jars) & decorative containers (vases). But like I said, I have alot of them. I was watching The Nate Berkus Show last week and someone was on talking about 'looking glass spray' which she sprayed on the glass in frames to make a mirror and also in clear bowls and vases to make faux mercury glass. So I went on a 'mini' search for looking glass spray. I didn't want to trudge all the way out to Lowes or Michaels so I headed over to Ace to see what they had. The young man who helped me said that a couple of days before another lady was in looking for the same thing (we live in a small town, who is this woman? Maybe I know her!) and he guided her toward the metallic spray paint. There was one can left when I got there so I bought it and brought it home to give it a try.I painted the inside of one jar and one vase and let it dry. The painting literally took less than 5 minutes. It took about 30 minutes to dry. I am not totally wild about the jar but I am sure I'll find a use for it. I love the vase although I don't really think it resembles mercury glass. I spent about $6-7 on the paint and I had the jar & vase so it's a really frugal project. I think you could do any color paint for a different look.



This weekend I'll check Lowes & Michaels for looking glass spray and try it on something else. If it's worth a post you'll see it. UPDATE: No looking glass spray at Lowes or Michaels. I checked another ACE and no go. I hear they have it at Home Depot & hope to get out there very soon...Update #2 -still no luck on the looking glass spray. Will be on the lookout next time we're in the 'big city'. I know I will find it and will be so happy to finally use it. :)


I love the look of the paint on the inside instead of the outside. There is still that shine of the glass with just a bit of color. I am eager to try out some different colors....




I am linking up to Glitter Blasted Linky Party @ Infarrantly Creative, Thrifty Decor Chick's Spray Paint Party, How To's Day @ The Lettered Cottage, Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest, Just a Girl's SAS Day , Metamorphisis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch @ Tuesdays Treasures , My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia & DIY by Design's Swing into Spring.

Comments

Deborah said…
Good nmorning Debra,
This looks very nice!
I love mercury glass...I first discovered it at Christmas.
Id love to try this too!
Have a great weekend!

Deborah xoxo
Great idea! I first heard of mercury glass after seeing several of my aunt's pieces. So maybe I'll try making some of my own : )
Laurie Anne said…
What a cool project. I love the look of mercury glass.
I saw a simliar project somewhere in blogland and the person sprayed VERy watered down black paint (like out of a spray bottle) on the still wet silver paint so it kind of muddled the silver.
Keep us posted on how the glass spray works :0)
The vase still looks beautiful, though.
jd said…
I heard they are discontinuing this product due to toxins or something not healthy. I love the look.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Keep a Journal...

Easter Deals, Ideas & Fun Stuff - 4/11/17

25 Candy-Free Easter Basket Filler Ideas