Simplifiying our stuff...



I am currently reading "Organic Housekeeping" by Ellen Sandbeck. It is really good so far. At the beginning of the book she talks about 'organizing' - I have to admit I am sick of that work (along with the word 'clutter') - but it's a great section that talks about keeping your home organized so you can enjoy the things you have.

Sandbeck says a lot of clutter 'is the product of absentmindedness'. Hmm. I never really thought of it that way. We walk into a room with something in our hand, put it down, do something else (maybe more than one thing) and then leave the room without that item, leaving it to clutter up the room in which it doesn't really belong. I have to say I am relieved that I am not the only one who does this. She says that living in a house is like an giant game of Memory. Well, yes it is. We don't often have enough room in our memory banks to remember where we put the keys, our purse, our shoes, etc. Hence, 'a place for everything and everything in its place.' She suggests some techniques for the 'memory challenged' (isn't that most of us on some days?):

  • A full set of bathroom cleaning products & equipment in each bathroom. Especially great if you have a 2 (or more) story home.
  • Magnetic clips to hold outgoing mail, bills, school permission slips, etc. These could go on your front or back door if it's metal, a metal board in your mud room or even your fridge.
  • A dry erase board or chalkboard in a prominent place.
  • Keeping purse or backpack items in their container - which is the purse or backpack.
  • Plug-in rechargeable flashlights that turn on automatically when the power goes out. Put one on each level of your home. I had no idea these things existed but it is BRILLIANT! I am always scrambling to get candles and flashlights when the power is out.

Later in the book she talks about cleaning, making your own cleaning products, etc. It is really good. I think this organizing chapter is at the beginning because it really is easier to clean it you can actually get to what you need to clean. Pretty simple idea...

Join Stephanie at Keeper of the Home for Living Simply Saturdays.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hmmm. I might need to get that book. I strive so hard to following the mantra "there is a place for everything". Trying to train my kids that way is proving challenging. I love the flashlight idea considering our power failure a few weeks ago!

I would love to hear more ideas from this book!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Keep a Journal...

Easter Deals, Ideas & Fun Stuff - 4/11/17

25 Candy-Free Easter Basket Filler Ideas