Simplifying Christmas...


I am a little late in posting my Simply Celebrating Christmas which is part of Living Simply Saturdays but I wanted to take part in it and even though it's Monday I want to share my Simple Christmas ideas because it's never too late for that.
I was decorating the tree and inside on Saturday with my family which is why I didn't post this on Saturday (and Friday can be a post of it's own - crazy day). I think that's the biggest idea for a simple Christmas: spending time with your loved ones. Instead of blogging, instead of shopping, instead of cleaning. INSTEAD OF ANYTHING. Spend time with your family. You won't regret it. Your computer will still be there, your cleaning will still be there and really, do you honestly need to shop for anything right now? Your kids will remember the fun time they had decorating the tree, making cookies, reading a book, playing with you outside, watching a movie together WAY more than they will remember one more plastic toy that you HAD to run out and buy that Saturday in December...
We are also simplifying Christmas this year by doing a 'family gift' as our 'big' Christmas gift. It was purchased in August and it's ready for Santa to put under the tree. That's it. No worrying about 'one more little thing for ____'. I don't know that we are saving much money by doing a family gift but everyone (read: Mom) is a little saner. It may become a tradition, we'll have to see. But this year it's working.
I love to bake for the holidays but it can get overwhelming. This year I am making more of each item instead of a bunch of different cookies. How simple is it to stock up on all the ingredients for 3 or 4 ( or less) different cookies and start baking. By the 2nd or 3rd batch you will have the recipe down and wont' need to look at it, saving time.
Overall, I am just trying to keep things in perspective. What's really important. What I really like and want to do (no fundraising for me this month!). I don't want my daughter to not like the holidays because she remembers how stressed out her mom was from Thanksgiving to Christmas. That's the real reason for the simple things: lasting memories for a little girl at this most magical time of the year.

Comments

Laurie Anne said…
I totally agree. It is the memories of the holidays that the kids remember, not the stuff. We are also cutting back and making it more meaningful which will most likely mean just being together as a family.
:0)
*carrie* said…
A good reminder to not get caught up in all the "doings" of the season, but to remember what's really important!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Keep a Journal...

Easter Deals, Ideas & Fun Stuff - 4/11/17

25 Candy-Free Easter Basket Filler Ideas