School Lunch...


So far this school year my daughter has taken her lunch every day but one. (After I put $20 on her lunch card, of course). It seems like this year's lunch menu is lacking. Maybe it's just not as exciting as it was last year, being her first year. The deal we had was she could buy 2 days and take 3. I am loving that she is wanting to take.
I stumbled across this great post about a zero waste lunch the other day and it started me thinking about this lunch thing. I use re-usable plastic containers for her sandwich and anytime she has cut up fruit (strawberries, peaches, etc). I send plastic utensils which she brings home, we wash and re-use. I fear my lovely stainless will end up in the school dumpster. I was still sending paper napkins with her (I only use them for her lunches, we use cloth at home) until I saw this post. About the same time I had just been to Target and spent time at the $1 SPOT (don't you just LOVE it??). Target had the 'red' dots - get this- 75% off!! So 25 cents for these little dollar items. I stocked up on tons of things but one of the items I got (for gift baskets -will post on that later) were these little waffle weave dish clothes in bright colors. I bought an extra set for me, not really knowing what I would use them for. Well, as it turns out, they are the perfect napkin size. So my daughter now takes her cloth napkin for lunch. And, it has been coming home, too. She also takes her water in a re-usable bottle. I feel good that we are 'almost' zero waste. I still put her carrots in the snack sized ziplocs (but I rinse them out- how dirty are baby carrots- and re-use them too.)
She is such a sport - the other kids are bringing pre-made PBJ in plastic single serving bags, chips in single serving bags, juice boxes/pouches but she doesn't complain. I guess she knows somehow why I do what I do. Check out this webite for more info: Waste Free Lunches.org. It really is easier on the environment and saves money too...

Comments

Laurie Anne said…
Once again, I'm sooo with you on this. Last year Ben bought lunch a lot since he likes a hot lunch, but this year he will be taking more often (the school lunches are too small for a kid who is in constant growth spurt) I've always tried to be mindful of waste and this year with 2 lunches to pack it seems even more important. So many kids, come to school with lunchables and prepackaged everything. It also drives me nuts when on field trips they have to have a completely disposable lunch. Since I usually go with them I just lug around our lunch stuff. Every little bit helps :0)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Keep a Journal...

Easter Deals, Ideas & Fun Stuff - 4/11/17

25 Candy-Free Easter Basket Filler Ideas