Interesting observation...

I was watching "Leave it to Beaver" this morning (does anyone else do that? It is one of my all time favorite shows). It was the episode where Beaver rips his good pants and then lies about how it happened (an idea planted by Eddie Haskell, of course). Ward and June punished him by having him stay in his room all afternoon by himself. When they were leaving the room for him to start his punishment June went back in and asked Beaver if he understood why he was being punished. It was for lying & they started talking about God and that he could see us no matter where we were and knew what we were doing and saying. It was really sweet and done in a way that kids could really 'get it'. I started thinking how that would NEVER happen on TV today. It is a sad statement of how much society has changed since the 50's (and not for the better, in my humble opinion). It seems like sitcoms in the 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's really were learning tools for so many of us but that has changed so much. There aren't really any sitcoms now that young kids can watch. And God has been taken out of so much. And no matter what your religious viewpoint is I really think it's nice to know there is a higher power out there. I will keep my eyes out for that episode so I can Tivo it next time so my daughter can watch it. She gets a kick out of the older shows. She especially likes 'The Brady Bunch'. I learned alot from that show ('Mom always said don't play ball in the house', 'Quitters never win and winners never quit' - just to name a couple).

I guess we will never go back to a more simple, innocent time. It's hard to raise kids now. But I am sure there were different challenges when we were young. I just try my best, keep my daughter close by me as much as I can, and I really, really try to set a good example although some days are easier than others. :)

Comments

Kellie said…
I love the old sitcoms and I do think you are right about the message thing. I miss that, because I wish there were "family" shows that we could watch together and I wouldn't have to worry about explaining everything or hoping something doesn't come up that's too old. Even the Disney Channel shows are not as "wholesome" as I would like them to be, so we haven't really gotten into that!
Laurie Anne said…
I totally know what you mean. We watched Bambi the other night and it was simple and sweet. There was no wisecracking sidekick making constant rude remarks. It wasn't fast paced and edgey. It was quiet and beautiful. My kids seemed weren't quite sure what to make of it.
I agree with Kellie, even the Disney shows are a little "mature" considering the target audience. I too miss the simpler time of kids who listen to parent who actually had something to say :0)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Keep a Journal...

Easter Deals, Ideas & Fun Stuff - 4/11/17

25 Candy-Free Easter Basket Filler Ideas