One thing I am trying to do better this year is menu planning. I do it pretty casually, I'd say. Monday morning I write down on a sheet of paper what I plan on cooking that week based on what I have in the house. Kind of backwards really (unless the goal is to eat from the pantry like we did in January). Then if I am missing something I will run to the store. I usually shop once a week and then sometimes need one more run to the store for milk & other perishables. I would LOVE to be one of those people who goes to the grocery store once ever 2 weeks. Do any of you go to the grocery every 2 weeks? I'd love to hear any tips on how to do that consistently. I am sure it's pretty easy to do but I find myself heading back out because I have forgotten something (even with a list I forget at least one thing).
We were at a party on Saturday night and some of us ladies were talking about grocery shopping (who would have thought that this would be our topic of conversation at a party way back when). The hostess told us how she does it: On Saturday or Sunday she sits down and makes a list of what she wants to cook for the upcoming week. Then she makes a list of what she needs to prepare these meals. Then she makes a list of what she needs to buy that week and puts everything on her list in the order of her grocery store ( I do that, too.) Monday morning she heads out to shop. Sounds pretty easy, doesn't it? So I think I'll give that a whirl and see what happens.
This week I have planned the following:
- Monday- tri tip sandwiches (meat left over from Sunday), veggie platter, chips, pudding
- Tuesday-Meatloaf, mashed potatoes (potatoes 68 cents for a 5 lb bag!), veggies
- Wednesday-Spaghetti with Bratwurst (leftover Bratwurst from last week), salad
- Thursday-sandwiches from Subway - hockey night
- Friday-Breakfast (one of my favorites)-eggs, sausage, fruit, whole wheat toast
- Saturday-Quesadillas, salad
- Sunday- Super Bowl (Go Colts!) - something casual which my husband will decide but hasn't done yet.
Other than having to get some fresh fruit & veg later in the week and the super bowl food I have everything I need to this week's menu.