Taming the wants...



It's that time of year again when the Christmas lists are going around. I can only imagine that this will be a tough year for a lot of folks and the lists will have to be cut - a lot. Personally, I know that there is nothing I really WANT this year. Things I would like to have, sure, but nothing I really want. Thank heavens, since a certain little girl has a list a mile long. I work on trying to explain wants and needs to her and I think she somewhat gets it but more still gets added to the list.




My husband and I decided to do a 'family' gift this year. My parents went in with us and we are getting a Wii. We bought a package and some of it will be from my parents and some of it will be from Santa. I feel a huge weight lifted off of me as my shopping is done this a year, save a couple of stocking stuffers that won't be missed if I can't get them. I am hoping this turns out to be a hit with Little Miss.




I think it's important to teach our kids that we can't have everything exactly when we want it (or sometimes we can never have it). I try to stress it a lot. We have been reading some Little House books and the kids always get one homemade gift for birthdays and Christmas. And it's usually something useful. When did that all change? When did Christmas become synonymous with 'greed'? I know it's been going on for a while. How can we change things back to the way they were? Or can we? If we went back to the real meaning of the season that would help. But even more than that, can't we make the gift giving frenzy of the day less hectic and commercial? I know that I try each year and I am hoping that we can do it: Focus less on the gift(s) and much more on the reason for the day & if you're not religious (and even if you are), the family time, the slower pace of life, sitting and savoring a meal, enjoying a game of football or Monopoly with people you don't see every day. (I have always thought that you can find out a lot about a person by playing Monopoly with them.)
As we head into this busiest of times, take a few moments each day to remember what's important (people) and what's not (things). Try to tame the wants in order to reap the rewards of a wonderful time of year.

Comments

Stephanie said…
I'm so with you on wanting to make Christmas not about the gifts, and to keep it much more simple, practical and especially from the heart (not out of obligation). We're trying to communicate with family members that we would like to tone down the gift giving this year, and so far it has been received better than I expected! Thanks for joining in with Living Simply Saturday!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Keep a Journal...

Easter Deals, Ideas & Fun Stuff - 4/11/17

25 Candy-Free Easter Basket Filler Ideas